Thursday, September 08, 2005

Being acutely aware of time

I've been very acutely aware of time lately. With my current back condition my day has been divided up into 6 hour intervals between pain medication. It has also been divided up into very distinct periods based on intervals between medical appointments which I count the time till. I think a lot more about and count time much more regularly now. It is a strange experience. I see things that are two weeks away become closer and closer. It happens very smoothly and constantly, like my hand moving through dry hot beach sand. Before time would arrive suddenly, with an alarm or reminder reminding me of an upcoming appointment. Now time approaches, constantly, unstoppably, almost menacingly like the ground to meet a skydiver. A missed appointment seems like yelling out a window to a pedestrian by the side of the road as the car one is riding in speeds by. More importantly I wonder where all the time goes. Then I think of the repetition in my life that fills those hours. Getting up, going to work, commuting, trying to relax after the day is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home