Monday, July 11, 2005

The best way to get started on something

I am a big slacker so I have to find all kinds of screwy ways to get started on things. One of the better ways I have found is when I am procrastinating is to do the following:

Open up my sticky notes program

Write the first 10 steps I can think of to move forward on a project

Go back and fill in the details a little more

Keep doing that until the steps get small enough that the procrastination feeling eases.

The hardest part is opening up the sticky note program. It's a bit like overcoming the fear of rejection while dating. You just have to DO IT!!

Here comes the clever part, convincing yourself to write the first step. Sing a little song to yourself (not out loud if you're around others), distract yourself. Move the mouse back and forth with the beat of the song until it winds up on the open the sticky note icon. Then double click it to the beat. Ok keep singing this little song in your head and write the title of what you want to do. Then write the first line. After that it should go ok, if not at least you got a line down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home