Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fighting the need to analyze

I spend all day thinking analytically at my job. I think
"What's the best way to do things?"
"How are we supposed to do it?".
"Are we doing it the right way?"
"What category of problem is this?"

All day long is spent judging ideas , methods , techniques, etc.

Sometimes I like to relax. I really like to snap myself out of it. It's hard though as this mode of thinking has become somewhat of a habit that carries over into my non working hours. So I go play MMORPGs and refuse to use the analytical part of my brain. I refuse to go "Meta". For instance I never say things like

"This game is so much like a bruce sterling novel"
"I am so overwhelmed at all this"
"I wonder how they designed all this"
"Do you think this is a java message based architecture that they used to implemenet this?"
"a/s/l"

Instead I say things like

"Hi"
"Nice avatar"'
"Let's go on a walk"
"How do I use this game object?"
"Is this your house?"
"How do I play this game?"
"I Like psy trance music"

It's such a nice change of pace but it takes discipline and one needs to be in an environment like an MMORPG to really have that level of innocence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home