Thursday, June 02, 2005

The embarrassment of change

I changed my hair around lately, and it was a pretty big change. My old hairstyle was "different". My new one is much more conventional. Every person I meet, even if they haven't seen me for 2 or 3 years is saying, "Wow! You cut your hair! Looks so much more sophisticated!" This is kind of embarrassing to me. I think this was the reason I didn't cut my hair for a while. I was scared of all the attention I would get and having to repeatedly explain why I did it, etc.

Of course me being embarrassed by all this is stupid. I guess it's because I knew that my hair was previously sub-optimal, and I had a big psychological investment in that I had had it that way for so long. There is a lot of that going around and I guess there always has been. I think it's part of being human but I am going to try and be more aware of it from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home