Friday, April 07, 2006

How much of our lives do we really control?

I was navel gazing today and thinking about how much of our lives do we really control. My current job, living situation, health, etc is somewhat predictable given my location of geographic birth, early interests, economic circumstances, etc.

I then thought what would have made it different? If I had been raised in a hunting and gathering tribe in Papua New Guinea and then let off the bus, in the same place, with the same money and posessions on the particular day that I finished college I doubt I would have wound up in nearly the same place as I am now.

Which brings me to my point. That is the information you have access to is everything. Just look at people in North Korea, they get controlled media, they live with the knowledge that any act of disobidience will lead to a horrible death, etc. If I knew how to build a spaceship or what the price of some stocks would be in ten years the outcome of my life might be far different.

I think what overall this means is that it is important to control the information one pays attention to and chooses to believe. I therefore thank the dear reader of this blog for allowing me to add to your understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home